Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Method 5 - Flickr is Bettr


texas blue
Originally uploaded by vrot01
Flickr has made it so easy to upload pictures in a fast and friendly way. I have posted personal pictures on sites such as Myspace and Facebook before, and just like those social sites, Flickr lets you choose who can see which pictures you post. It was easy to make an account, and I already have 20 pics uploaded. I think libraries can use Flickr to showcase fabulous events and displays to the public. However, there is all the legal smegal stuff where you have to have written consent if you want to use pictures with patrons in them unless it is considered "news". I don't see then how it is legal for papparrazi to take pics of Paris Hilton picking a wedgie in order to sell a magazine. Is it considered "news"? If so then I'm sticking with CNN! I think if there is a library event going on, we should announce to the participants that we will be taking pics and possibly uploading them to Flickr, and if they don't want to be in them to let us know or step out of the picture. That would take all but 5 seconds. My only concern is for those who might save all their pictures to Flickr without having them saved somewhere else to like their computer or disc. Because even though the demonstration video for Flickr commented on how there could be errors on your hard drive and you could lose all your pics, they didn't mention that Flickr may one day get errors too. Websites have been known to crash. So I wouldn't feel comfortable saving all my pics solely on a website. I chose this picture of the bluebonnet because it is Texas' state flower and also, it reminds me of Brenham, TX which is a place I love to go. All in all, I enjoyed using Flickr and will continue to do so. Libraries could benefit with this innovative tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment