Friday, November 6, 2009

Method 3 - Forecast: Cloudy



This method covered "cloud computing" which means using web-based applications(and saving data)on any computer as long as you have an internet connection. Some of these applications include Gmail, Flickr, Facebook, Google Docs, and Zoho. Gmail and also Hotmail are email stations you can use and access on any computer by signing in with a user name and password. You can upload your pictures on Flickr for easy sharing for friends and family. Facebook and Myspace are social networks you can update about your life and get in touch with people you don't see on a regular basis. And Google Docs and Zoho are a type of Word application in which you can save documents, papers, letters, etc. to without having to save the info on flashdrives, diskettes, or directly to your computer's hard drive. They also have resume templates in which users can just fill in their info and print it out for their future employer. In essence, the beauty of these applications is the fact that you can save your information in the "cloud" and access it on any computer with internet. And they are all free!

I played with Google Docs and found that it was fairly simple to use. I liked the different templates it offered, and I saved a To-Do list and a Family Budget template for future use. I also liked that when I went to Google Reader, I automatically could view the blogs I am currently following. I think the patrons of libraries can benefit from using Google Docs or Zoho because not all of our public computers have both internet and Microsoft Word. This way they can get on any public computer, go to Google Docs, type the info and save/print. We also have patrons who ask us for help in making their resumes or want to know where they can find resume templates online. We can now point them to Google Docs and they can pick a template they like and just fill in their info. It is free and easy. I just wish I knew about this when going to school instead of worrying if I had the disc/flashdrive my homework was saved on with me. It would have made my life a lot simpler.

The only negative aspect of the cloud is how safe is your info? To hackers? To bankrupt companies? Who is to say Flickr won't be gone tomorrow and then where do all of your pictures you uploaded go? I think the safest bet is to use these apps cautiously. Always have a backup or original saved in case these apps become unreliable. You don't want to be working on a 15 page paper for six weeks that you only saved to Zoho and the next day try to access it and come to find out Zoho doesn't exist anymore. Not a good day. =( So like many people, I use the cloud half way because I don't feel comfortable trusting all of my important stuff to the World Wide Web. Not everyday is a cloudy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment