Monday, November 9, 2009

Method 4 - RSS Feeding Frenzy


Before this method, I had heard of RSS feeds but had no idea what the heck they were. However, I found that RSS feeds are simple to use and in fact, I was already using them without even knowing it! In the last method, I played around with Google Docs and stumbled upon Google Reader. I was already following two of my co workers' blogs and saw that I could read their new posts from Google Reader. So today I was able to subscribe to websites to get their RSS feeds directly to my Google Reader. At first when I tried to subscribe from the websites, nothing happened. I found it easier to do a search of the websites from Google Reader and subscribe to them that way. I decided to subscribe to The Boot for all my country music news, Showtime for my Dexter updates, and Beaumont Enterprise for my local news updates. I love how all the information I look for is one place so I don't have to go directly to their website. The information comes to me! I think libraries could implement RSS feeds to automatically give its followers news about events, new books/movies, and features instantly. The only problem I forsee is are there enough patrons who use RSS feeds for it to be worth using? I didn't know anything about them until today, and I feel many of our patrons are unaware of this option too. It would be nice to use though if we had enough followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment