Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Method 9 - Chatterbox

free smilies
I have been using Instant Message since Jr. High but the technology has changed since then. Back then, I used AOL IM and could only sign in to it on my family's computer where it was set up. When I moved out to go to college, I didn't IM anymore but instead sent texts through my cell phone. Later, I got a Myspace and a Facebook and was able to chat with people in real time. Through this exercise, I tried to IM through my Yahoo account which I've, up until now, have never utilized. And with good reason...no one is ever available to chat! One person in my contacts showed up as available eventually. It was my sister and when I IMed her she completely ignored me! Not very sisterly in my opinion. So then I tried to chat with TSLACDL using Meebo and they are still unavailable! Most people I know just text or use a social networking site to chat so I doubt I'll be using Chat or IM. And my Momma taught me not to talk to strangers so I don't go to Chatrooms. As for libraries, I think using Meebo for answering reference questions is a good idea as long as a staff member can be available to answer questions readily. Because take it from me, it's very frustrating waiting around for someone to become available to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment