Thursday, December 3, 2009

Method 11 - Podding Around

Podcast Logo Pictures, Images and Photos
At first I didn't like Podcasting. It reminded me of Talk Radio which gets boring real fast (especially if you're not in your car and just staring at your computer) because most people are visual. I didn't like any of the libraries' podcasts about How-To's, or "listening" tours of the library. If I want to take a virtual tour of a library, I want to see what's being described to me. I didn't really see how our library could successfully use podcasts until I came across the Denver Library's podcasts. They are podcasts of children's stories being read aloud. The one I listened to was just over 4 mins so not too long. I can see mother's with children at home going to the library's website and allowing their young children to listen to stories. This is great for days when the library isn't doing a storytime and Mom needs a few minutes of rest. It's like an audio CD with the click of a mouse and there's nothing to download. Patrons can even subscribe to the podcasts to be notified when new ones are posted. This is the only aspect of Podcasting for libraries I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment